Not all who read Science are Geeks.
Monday, February 27, 2012 @ 11:44 pm leave a comment? | 0 shed some light
I visited to Singapore Science Center with Cong Han last week. The place has undergone some major changes. I barely recognized it anymore! We managed to cover the whole area, including the Dinosaur Exhibition. We just didn't go to the IMAX theater or Snow City.
I remember going to a dinosaur exhibition in the Science Center with my parents when I was around seven or eight. It was the second exhibition I went to (the first was about the human body). At that point of time, I hid behind my father's thigh. It was a pretty conflicting moment for my seven-year-old self. I was fascinated by the dinosaurs and wanted to get near to them. But I panicked each time mummy pushed me forward and froze behind my father who was my makeshift shield.
This time was pretty much the same. I was reluctant to get near them initially. I had to remind myself that they were just mere machines in my mind repeatedly. This dinosaur exhibition is entirely different from the one I went to before and I managed to pose (albeit reluctantly) for a few photos after a while though. There were not many people inside - only a few school children on their school excursion. It's embarrassing how they aren't affected by the dinosaurs at all. I think I've underestimated my zoophobia. I know very well that the dinosaurs are not the real deal - but I must admit I had half the mind to run out of the place, screaming my head off. I don't have any photos of the dinosaur exhibits since Cong Han was the one taking photos in there. I was too preoccupied with posing to take any.
Cong Han and I went out soon afterwards and bought keychains with our photo on them. Mummy said it's a waste of money when I showed it to her when I got home later. But I wanted a photo of the both of us! Oh well. At least I now know how tourists attractions are able to rip people off with photo-taking business gimmicks!
We then went on to the rest of the usual exhibitions at Science Center. Cong Han was pretty intrigued by the 'Marine' section. He had the most fun fiddling with the knobs and such while I took photos of him sneakily.
It's a little difficult to see through the messy foliage, but there are guppies swimming among the leaves! It's amazing how they are so tiny compared to the grass and fern!
These are the 'invisible' stamps we got upon our entry to the exhibits. It looks cool under the UV light, doesn't it?
Mr Inquisitive using the magnifying glass in his unique way.
This is at the 'Sounds' section. You get to hear your voice echoing to the other end of this tunnel!
Cong Han's favourite exhibit. These are balls of iron dust fillings that vibrate along to the beat of music. They look awfully cool in real life!
Said boy taking photos of his favourite.
There were also other exhibits that were fun to play with.
Believe it or not, Science Center has animals to play with too. I didn't dare to touch any of them. One of the chicks pecked Cong Han's hand. They must have been really frightened.
And this is the first time I get to see a hedgehog up close!
Although I had lots of fun, I'm not sure if I'm happy that Science Center has changed so much though. The place where there were long basins and tubes to listen for sounds is gone. I think it used to be the children's section. There was this place with a room filled with rainbow lights too! Apparently, more changes are going to be made to Science Center, since a part of it is under renovation right now. It feels as if a part of my childhood is disappearing along with it... I should have taken photos in the past. All that I'm left with are vague memories of that particular section now.
Labels: Captured by the lens