celestial awakening
xxxxxx
night stars are the street lights of eternity.
It's these things
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 @ 9:24 pm leave a comment? | 0 shed some light
This time, the English language holiday homework consists of a composition titled 'An Educational Visit' and a comprehension passage. The school had organised a Learning Journey field trip for our level recently. The Battlefield Tour includes places like the Changi Chapel, Bukit Chandu, Labrador Park, Kent Ridge area, and other places that are related to the past Japanese Occupation in our native land. Since each class will visit only two places, every three classes will visit two places that are classified by their locations such as the eastern part and the southern part as such.

It was good that we got to visit the Ford Factory and the War Memorial place. I've been to the other places more than once before but never been to these two. However, there wasn't much time spent in the Ford Factory since we'd set off late. I'd actually screamed when I saw Yimin's 'friend', the fisherman. One minute I was busy staring at this wedding dress from the WWII period and the next I turned to my right and see a fisherman bust staring straight at me.

The two short films we watched on WWII showed how cruelty and fear was used for control over the different races in Singapore. Propaganda was a term frequently used and due to a desperate lack of resources, it was no surprise that the economy then was terrible.

When we went to visit the next location, the Kranji War Memorial, I saw many tombstones, each in the memory of someone who had so gallantly served the people. It'd seemed a little different. The weather was pretty sunny that day and it made the place seem like a world on its own. I felt that the place was so peaceful and extremely different from the usual hubbub of the cosmopolitan city. Such that, the place appeared to be wrapped in a bubble and protected as a fragile reminder of a past that had spurred our forefathers on to worked so hard for a better lifestyle for the present generation.

As it has been written above, a person can tell that the trip has left an impression on me. Our guide for that day was also excellent, giving us all the facts and stuff. His facial expression after realising that our class do not take History was quite amusing. He seemed aghast. However, we did have a rather sketchy idea of the whole picture due to our shallow Social Studies syllabus which was covered in our Primary school education. His enthusiasm for spreading horror stories however, isn't really ideal to me. I dislike listening to such stories when told with such conviction. It just seemed, scary. I do know about the Bukit Chandu story though. Since my first visit there, I'd always felt a little apprehensive about that place. Oh, and Fort Canning Park too.

The March holiday has never been a good holiday to start with. Humans are never content with what they have aren't they? Therefore, I must try to appreciate the little things that this week will give me. Although I need to go back to school, I get to wake up half an hour later which still counts as more sleep. I don't need to be as worried about my hairstyle too.

I feel a little sad that I still can't sing after a week. Sure I can speak normally, however, once I try to sing, my voice just comes out as a pathetic croak. SYF is coming soon. Oh please, let me be able to sing once again. I want to sing at my normal standard or if not better. Without singing everyday, it just seems empty.

Labels: ,





© Mei Jun. Contents are owned by the owner unless otherwise stated.
Layout hand-coded by Rainy Martini. With colors from colourlovers and fonts from googlefonts.