Life in its general term
Saturday, March 07, 2009 @ 10:44 pm leave a comment? | 0 shed some light
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
That is a three-hour long movie that was screened for the last day at the cinema at Tampines Mall today. It can easily be named as one of my favourite films and I understand just how it had garnered nominations so effortlessly ( with the information about those awards from the guy manning the ticketing counter. )
When my mum and I entered the movie cinema, we asked the staff to recommend a few movies to us as it was common for us to do that. However, I suspect the guy is new as his answers were somewhat amusing and I had to pull at my face to keep from erupting with laughter; which could have severely injured his self-esteem, thus leaving a permanent scar in his life as a staff at the cinema. The dialogue between my dearest mum and him went as follows,
We then realise that it was futile trying to prod him for any details. Maybe he didn't know that there is this file that I'd seen the staff showing to us many times that contains the summaries of each movie that is screened. Oh well.
The film showed the different aspects of life. Unlike the usual story lines that you see in other shows, this has a heart-wrenching plot. Told in the form of Benjamin Button's diary, the emotions of the characters are clearly depicted. Lessons from life in a general form are shown with such ringing clearness that it could let the viewer identify with or learn from. It shows how people change over time and in the end, nothing really matters in death. Life is just about letting go.
What made an impression on me too were the stark similarities and differences there are in the complicated and vastly diverse human race. Contrasting personalities, or those who can click, all our lives are interlinked in some way. Supporting this view was this article from a magazine I read. It really is a small world. If you try to map out all your acquaintances in your various social networks, your map will branch out to such an extent that it's almost impossible to contain everyone. Maybe it's because we are the same species, that's why there are so much similarities. However, if you label everyone you know as a character, you realise there are different types of people out there. The motherly kind, the dancer ecetera. Most of the time, the most distinctive factor would be the individual's passion, if you have realised. But there are various ways to classify people, of course. Their personality for one.
Benjamin's life was backwards. A mourning father who made clocks set his most magnificent workpiece to wind backwards in memory of his son, hoping to turn back time, when the people were all happy and unaffected by war. However, this last display of paternal love may have just represented Benjamin's destiny. I wonder how he felt in his last moments, in the arms of Daisy as a sweet innocent baby.
I also bought a new novel this morning, with the Times voucher that my aunt gave me for my birthday last year. The novel's pretty interesting and it was nice finishing it in the evening. I still have my Literature novels to read though. Maybe I can finally finish them after doing my homework. Hopefully.
That is a three-hour long movie that was screened for the last day at the cinema at Tampines Mall today. It can easily be named as one of my favourite films and I understand just how it had garnered nominations so effortlessly ( with the information about those awards from the guy manning the ticketing counter. )
When my mum and I entered the movie cinema, we asked the staff to recommend a few movies to us as it was common for us to do that. However, I suspect the guy is new as his answers were somewhat amusing and I had to pull at my face to keep from erupting with laughter; which could have severely injured his self-esteem, thus leaving a permanent scar in his life as a staff at the cinema. The dialogue between my dearest mum and him went as follows,
"What movies do you recommend?"
"Oh, what type of movies do you prefer, ma'am? There is comedy, romance, romance-comedy, drama."
(Towards me)"Which do you like? Do you want to watch drama?"
"Oh ma'am, currently, the more popular ones are: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Marie and Me, He's Just Not That Into You."
"Oh, they have a new movie Marie and Me? That's cute!"
"It was just released recently."
(I whispered to my mum)"He meant Marley and Me..."
"OH. Well, I think we shall just go along with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button then."
"Alright. Today is the last day for this show. A lot of people watched it already and for the past few days it has been almost full house."
"What's the show about?"
"It's drama. It has got many awards."
"Yeah, but what's it about?"
"It's drama."
"As in the plot."
"It's like a drama."
We then realise that it was futile trying to prod him for any details. Maybe he didn't know that there is this file that I'd seen the staff showing to us many times that contains the summaries of each movie that is screened. Oh well.
The film showed the different aspects of life. Unlike the usual story lines that you see in other shows, this has a heart-wrenching plot. Told in the form of Benjamin Button's diary, the emotions of the characters are clearly depicted. Lessons from life in a general form are shown with such ringing clearness that it could let the viewer identify with or learn from. It shows how people change over time and in the end, nothing really matters in death. Life is just about letting go.
What made an impression on me too were the stark similarities and differences there are in the complicated and vastly diverse human race. Contrasting personalities, or those who can click, all our lives are interlinked in some way. Supporting this view was this article from a magazine I read. It really is a small world. If you try to map out all your acquaintances in your various social networks, your map will branch out to such an extent that it's almost impossible to contain everyone. Maybe it's because we are the same species, that's why there are so much similarities. However, if you label everyone you know as a character, you realise there are different types of people out there. The motherly kind, the dancer ecetera. Most of the time, the most distinctive factor would be the individual's passion, if you have realised. But there are various ways to classify people, of course. Their personality for one.
Benjamin's life was backwards. A mourning father who made clocks set his most magnificent workpiece to wind backwards in memory of his son, hoping to turn back time, when the people were all happy and unaffected by war. However, this last display of paternal love may have just represented Benjamin's destiny. I wonder how he felt in his last moments, in the arms of Daisy as a sweet innocent baby.
I also bought a new novel this morning, with the Times voucher that my aunt gave me for my birthday last year. The novel's pretty interesting and it was nice finishing it in the evening. I still have my Literature novels to read though. Maybe I can finally finish them after doing my homework. Hopefully.
Labels: Movies