celestial awakening
xxxxxx
night stars are the street lights of eternity.
Merry Carols
Thursday, November 26, 2009 @ 11:38 am leave a comment? | 0 shed some light
Guitar lesson on Sunday wasn't exactly good since I didn't practise. We are doing Christmas carols now.

Choir has been alright I suppose. The French school exchange was really fun albeit it being far too short. We had only one and a half hour to mingle with each other. There were not many chances to speak to each other too since we had to utilise that short period of time to the maximum by singing.

When I entered the school, I wondered if we were still in Singapore. It was my first time in an international school and the campus looked really different from our usual school compound. The students also didn't have uniforms and you could see them walking about. When we got there in was already mid-afternoon so most of them were heading home. It really seemed like a school scene from those European shows.

Everyone took quite a while to settle down in the auditorium. Partly because we couldn't understand their conductor initially. Well, at least I was confused. She calls the sections by different terms and I wasn't used to sitting in once whole big block, I guess.

I stood in the first row, in between two girls from the French school. The girl on my right was Julia ( I think that was her name ) and the one on my left was Ariane. When Julia told me Ariane could speak Mandarin I was actually kind of surprised since I didn't really expect to find Asians in the school. Ariane told me that she has been in the school since she was five and her mum is a Taiwanese. After Ariane knew I can speak Mandarin, she started speaking in Mandarin to me and I think she is more fluent in the language that I am if I were to be frank.

Although they did not seem familiar with the combined pieces at all I was struck by how earnest they were in their singing. Julia told me that they only learnt the first few pages of Why We Sing and sang 大海啊!故乡 using the syllable 'la'. They also performed two Swedish pieces for us afterwards and during our turn, we performed around half of our December concert repertoire.

It didn't really matter whether their standard is as good as us, or worse than us. In my opinion, their enthusiasm and willingness to learn had already won me over from the start. I really like Julia too, she was really friendly.

At the end we gave each of them our choir badges and a bouquet of flowers to the French conductor. Let's hope we will get to have a combined performance with them soon!

By the way, the journey from the florist near my house to Redhill was a little awkward for me. It wasn't the first time I was carrying a bouquet while taking the public transport. The first was with my mum. We were going to visit Aunt Rachel at some hospital after the birth of her daughter. So my mum and I got this bouquet of teddy bears for Aunt Rachel. And for the duration of the journey there, I had plenty of stares. Yesterday was the same too, just that it was a bouquet of lilies instead. A lady asked me about it on the way too. She spoke to me in Mandarin; I guessed she was a Chinese/Taiwanese tourist since she didn't appear local and she had a luggage with her.


Wow! Who gave you those lilies? Your boyfriend is so sweet/romantic!
Nonono, I'm giving these flowers to someone else. They are not for
me.
How much is it?
Around $55 for a bouquet this size.
Ohh...Still, so sweet of him to give you lilies. They smell great!

My arm went numb from cradling the lilies on the train. The florist told me that I must not crush the lilies and must cradle it gently. Somewhat like how parents carry babies I think?

Dinner at Yoshinoya went well. Lots of people couldn't make it unfortunately. Our group of nine went to Bishan Library (I didn't know there was a library there) after eating. I nearly walked into a glass panel there. It has been proven repeatedly that I should not have too many glass panels at home if I were to shift. Otherwise, I think I will have plenty of chances to walk into them.

I went to watch the movie Disney's A Christmas Carol last weekend with my mum. The three ghosts that visited Scrooge at midnight seemed scarier than the ones I saw in previous versions of the same story. The last version I watched was the English version, I think. And it wasn't an animation so there was a limit to how dramatic the ghosts appeared. There wasn't the journey to outer space in the old version I guess. But the animation was as heartwarming as all earlier versions. After all, the main plot is still the same, carrying along the lesson to be learnt by Scrooge. Charles Dickens' stories are good.

Should I go for the carolling even though Yibin won't be with me? D:

Labels: , , ,





© Mei Jun. Contents are owned by the owner unless otherwise stated.
Layout hand-coded by Rainy Martini. With colors from colourlovers and fonts from googlefonts.