And this will be your homework today...
Sunday, December 06, 2009 @ 9:38 pm leave a comment? | 0 shed some light
I just saw this on Facebook:
Student + Dying = Studying
Somehow, the pleasure derived from just plainly studying had long vanished along with pretty much of my childhood. Teachers all have a common sentence that must be said: Pay attention, this is how they will usually ask during the examinations, this is how you should answer, so that you can get the full score for that question.
It's a little sad that students now just learn for the certificate they will get upon completing their education in order to get a job with a decent pay. Whereas students used to learn just for learning's sake, and just to enjoy school life. More students also suffer from depression or other stress-related issues now.
Today's lesson only had the presence of four people in the room. The teacher, Owen, Tammy and me. I kind of prefer it this way though. It feels more comfortable because there are fewer people around. We couldn't escape playing the ensemble piece as there were still four of us though.
While Owen was playing the solo piece We Wish You a Merry Christmas, I made a small discovery. I was remarking about how his playing would most probably be better than mine considering the amount of time I spent on practising this week. And I continued how it seemed a tad embarrassing since he is much younger than me. Tammy then told me that he was only a year younger than me. And I'd always thought that he was still in Primary school. Ah well. Anyway, my playing was alright - definitely much better than last week's. The only problem was the chord changes which could have been better if I kick the habit of detaching my fingers too far away from the strings.
Alas, there came the next piece to learn by next week: Moderato by M. Carcassi and to play the A minor scale flawlessly. Sigh. Tammy and Eugenia won't be present next week. So I'm most probably going to be the only Secondary Three there.
Homework. Somehow, I get the feeling that if 'homework' were to be a person, it would a my nemesis - some monstrous, evil, scheming creature which intends to take all the joy out of my life.
Student + Dying = Studying
Somehow, the pleasure derived from just plainly studying had long vanished along with pretty much of my childhood. Teachers all have a common sentence that must be said: Pay attention, this is how they will usually ask during the examinations, this is how you should answer, so that you can get the full score for that question.
It's a little sad that students now just learn for the certificate they will get upon completing their education in order to get a job with a decent pay. Whereas students used to learn just for learning's sake, and just to enjoy school life. More students also suffer from depression or other stress-related issues now.
Today's lesson only had the presence of four people in the room. The teacher, Owen, Tammy and me. I kind of prefer it this way though. It feels more comfortable because there are fewer people around. We couldn't escape playing the ensemble piece as there were still four of us though.
While Owen was playing the solo piece We Wish You a Merry Christmas, I made a small discovery. I was remarking about how his playing would most probably be better than mine considering the amount of time I spent on practising this week. And I continued how it seemed a tad embarrassing since he is much younger than me. Tammy then told me that he was only a year younger than me. And I'd always thought that he was still in Primary school. Ah well. Anyway, my playing was alright - definitely much better than last week's. The only problem was the chord changes which could have been better if I kick the habit of detaching my fingers too far away from the strings.
Alas, there came the next piece to learn by next week: Moderato by M. Carcassi and to play the A minor scale flawlessly. Sigh. Tammy and Eugenia won't be present next week. So I'm most probably going to be the only Secondary Three there.
Homework. Somehow, I get the feeling that if 'homework' were to be a person, it would a my nemesis - some monstrous, evil, scheming creature which intends to take all the joy out of my life.
Labels: guitar, School Days