celestial awakening
xxxxxx
night stars are the street lights of eternity.
서울특별시
Thursday, December 23, 2010 @ 2:27 pm leave a comment? | 0 shed some light
9 December 2010
It was time to start our city tour! Our first stop was the Korea Ginseng shop, where Andy gave us a brief talk about the history and structure of the ginseng. We then filed into a room with sales staff who immediately started to promote their products over the glass counters. I never really liked the taste or smell of ginseng. Mum and I just stood at a side while the others were busy buying boxes and boxes of ginseng. I was still half asleep at that time too actually, so I was just standing at a corner with a blank expression, with half my brain in dreamland.

The next location was the local cosmetic shop, where most of the boys just decided to stay on the coach. While the salesgirl explained about the different products, I was just looking around. Till today, I'm still not sure which product I should use first. In total, she introduced about five to six products, including the botox set Andy told us about. I was quite lost and my mum later reprimanded me for not listening while the salesgirl was explaining because both of us got confused when it was time to purchase those products. In the end, we spent near 400, 000 won on the facial cleanser, facial scrub, moisturiser/toner, and the BB cream. I insisted on the BB cream since it works as a sunblock too.

We then went on to the Amethyst shop, where photography was not allowed. Mum bought a few keychains as souvenirs and gifts while I admired the jewellery. I saw one or two green amethyst which were really pretty.

Next was the Korean Traditional Cultural Centre where we learnt how to make kimchi. Well, we didn't actually learn how to make it, it was more like how to spread the paste onto the vegetable. Mum didn't join me but I tried on the hanbok and took a few pictures. What I remember most distinctly about the place however, is the ginseng milk they gave to us to drink. It was surprisingly delicious to drink!

We visited the Gyeongbok Palace (경복궁) afterwards. There wasn't much to do there, frankly speaking. The whole compound looked really elegant, pretty and it was huge. There were a few other tourists and men sweeping the snow off the steps. Andy told us that the ground was uneven so as to discourage assassins (uneven footing serves as an obstacle for them) and it also deters court officials from walking too fast. It also forces subordinates to look down to watch their footing instead. It's a really clever idea, really.

We then went on to Lotte World Adventure Park. First off, we took the monorail as a group again as Andy wanted to give us a good view of the place. I then went outdoors with Ming Jun, Yik Keat, Shuting and Bosco. I think I was more of a nanny for Ming Jun considering that I'm the oldest and Ming Jun's mum asked me to keep Ming Jun's dinner money for him. I felt bad for leaving my mum alone though.

The first ride we took was the Gyro Drop. Jerrie joined us in the queue. Previously I decided to join the youngsters since I wanted to go to the outdoor theme park. Usually I'll just take the 'safer' rides but since it had been a long time since I last rode on anything, I just tagged along. When I saw just how high the Gyro Drop is however, I started having the feeling of backing out. Well but in the end I did take it and it wasn't as scary as it seemed.

The next ride they wanted to go on was the Gyro Swing but I vehemently refused to take it. Instead, I spent an entire hour waiting for them. I wanted to go indoors to look for my mum but I was afraid that they would not be able to find me later. I ended up staying at a side amidst the stares of those that were queuing. I think they were wondering if I was lost or I was stood up.

We later moved indoors for dinner. While we were walking with the guys, I spotted a teddy bear and nearly squealed in joy. Shuting also stopped to take a look around the shop. Unfortunately the boys didn't noticed and just moved off. By the time I turned around, I was horrified to see no one there. I seriously panicked and started walking around, trying to look for them. Thank goodness they found us - well they actually met us halfway to be exact.

After dinner, we went back outside and tried the bumper cars. It was fun in the beginning but it was definitely not fun getting stuck between two cars midway. With just fifteen minutes left, we went back indoors and because I didn't know better, I blindly followed them when Ming Jun said he wanted to try the Sinbad Adventure Ride. It was a bad idea.

I dislike being in dark places. And I dislike creepy looking things like skeletons and monsters even more. That  was why I pretended I didn't hear Ming Jun's suggestion about going into the Haunted House when we were outdoors. I'm not sure what I did but I vaguely recall screaming my head off during the ride while the rest seemed amused by my lack of courage. That night, I couldn't really sleep well.

10 December 2010
Breakfast was Chinese food again. I laughed when Yik Keat's father joked, "我们已经算是一家人了!" when Andy asked if we were a group of eight. For the two days in Seoul, we had to separate into groups of eight for breakfast. With the couple, mum and me and Yik Keat's family, we shared the same table for the last two days. Funnily, the uncle whom mum and I always sit with also said the exact same sentence when Andy asked if we were a group when we had to separate into groups of four earlier on during meals too.

If there's anything I dislike about the food in Korea, that will be the Chinese food. I did not eat much of it because it was really salty. They actually hired chefs from China to cook for the restuarants - maybe the people in China prefer saltier food. Otherwise, I really loved the local dishes they fed us in Korea.

There was not enough time for another visit to Dongdaemun so we went to Shinchon again instead. Lunch was absolutely delicious. Mum and I ate at this French cafe (I'm so sorry but I really can't remember the name) and the bread roll I had was amazing. Carole and Aiqing joined us later. We ended up shopping with the two ladies. I bought more ear studs before we went back to the bus. Carole also bought lots of accessories and a scarf-like thing.

Everyone was somewhat subdued on the coach while we were on our way to Incheon airport. I was just staring out of the window. It was really an awesome week and I really love the place. While on the coach, Anthony/Kijung-ssi handed out the photos he took of us throughout the trip and we could choose to buy it. Mum bought everything. I think most ended up buying all the photos too since they were well-taken. At the airport, everyone stood around to take pictures with Andy and Anthony before checking in.

Before the flight, I stopped at a booth where I got to make this headband. It's actually something young girls wear in Korea, together with the hanbok. That was the last thing I did before leaving South Korea. Mum and I then took our medication again (thank goodness I remembered this time). It was awful to take it without water. It's not only excessively bitter, it's spicy too! Now I know why Ming Jun's face scrunched up so much when he took it without water earlier.

There wasn't much to do on the plane. I played Reversi eight times, winning the game five times. Dinner was bibimbap and it was really nice. I then whiled the time away dozing or just watching the movie 'Up' from another person's screen (the guy was sitting in front - I think he was a Japanese). They gave us a midnight snack too: onigiri. I then overturned my cup of orange juice in my sleepy state. In the end I had to use quite a few pieces of tissue paper just to dry my pants. I didn't dare to order anything else to drink.

Everyone was a little dazed after we landed in Singapore since it was really late. I think mum and I were the first to collect our stuff. After mum bade goodbye to Carole we went off to the taxi stand. Thank goodness I stopped halfway to buy a drink at Ya Kun just outside because the ride home took longer than expected. The taxi driver got lost and in the end, my mum had to give out directions. Ah well.

All in all, this trip was great. I do agree with my mum that it was a pity that I didn't start making friends earlier (I only started to talk to the rest of the teens in the second half of the week). But at least I managed to buy the rabbit I wanted and played with snow for the first time. For now, I'm stuck with wondering how I should close this post properly...

I miss South Korea!




© Mei Jun. Contents are owned by the owner unless otherwise stated.
Layout hand-coded by Rainy Martini. With colors from colourlovers and fonts from googlefonts.