我是本地人。
Monday, June 20, 2011 @ 10:18 pm leave a comment? | 0 shed some light
It was quite a fruitful weekend for me. After such a long time, I finally went shopping with my mum. I spent quite a large portion of what I'd saved from my allowance. Well, I'll just comfort myself with the fact that it's been a long time since I'd gone shopping with anyone. Aside from clothes, I bought the le sucre rabbit dolls I've been wanting to buy for so long! I actually got one from Gimpo airport last year but now my rabbit has company! I was gushing over the little pushcart stall with the rabbit dolls before I settled on getting two to bring home. We then went around browsing through the shops. My mum and I returned home really tired after spending an entire afternoon at Vivo City. I should start saving more money so I could buy more things the next time. Maybe I could try skipping lunch again - I used to do that in secondary school.
That aside, I wonder if I should start a 微博 (weibo) account. After such a long time, I've kind of lost touch with my Mother Tongue. I catch myself being tongue-tied each time someone speaks to me in Mandarin. It takes me a longer time to process everything now. I've forgotten a lot of the idioms and phrases 林老师 taught us during the countless lessons. Come to think of it, I sort of enjoyed Chinese Language lessons back when my teachers were nice.
My very first teacher was this young lady from China who wore at least 3-inch platforms to my preschool daily. She taught us purely through rote learning. My huge fear of 听写 (Mandarin dictation; something like spelling, except in Chinese characters) started all from the tender age of five. When I failed my weekly 听写 the teacher's glare would be so petrifying and I would have to do all the corrections many times over. Which was no different from all the 习字 exercises she made us do to practise anyway. But come to think of it, it was because of all the memory work I had to do that helped me later. I mean, Mandarin used to be one of my weaker subjects till I met this awfully nice teacher when I was twelve. 陈老师 taught us a lot and helped to provide English translations for all the phrases we didn't understand. Thankfully, I managed to do well for the subject and moved on to Crescent, where all the teachers, especially 林老师, were really good too. Thus my Mandarin improved a lot.
Now that I can no longer go for 林老师's lessons, I find that I don't really have an opportunity to use Mandarin anymore. It's no surprise that my Mandarin is getting rusty. It gets awkward when I automatically reply in English right after someone speaks to me in Mandarin. Really awkward. Then the auntie or uncle would presume that I'm not local and struggle to reply in English and ask me questions about my hometown (they think I'm a tourist from either Korea or Vietnam). I seriously ought to stop this bad habit of mine.
Anyway, I was thinking about having a weibo account which would force me to use Mandarin. The problem is that I'm already having quite a tough time making out the words on the homepage. Or I could just post in Mandarin on Twitter. I'm just making things more complicated by having a weibo actually. Hm.
By the way, I just took a personality test a few days ago. The last time I took one was four years ago. Apparently I'm no longer an ISTP based on the Myers-Briggs personality type. My current personality type is quite similar to my previous though. Somehow I feel that my current fits me more actually. I wonder if the Myer-Briggs personality types are accurate. To fit everyone's personality into sixteen categories, there'll bound to be exceptions all the time. I guess it depends on individual beliefs - something like astrology.
By the way, I just took a personality test a few days ago. The last time I took one was four years ago. Apparently I'm no longer an ISTP based on the Myers-Briggs personality type. My current personality type is quite similar to my previous though. Somehow I feel that my current fits me more actually. I wonder if the Myer-Briggs personality types are accurate. To fit everyone's personality into sixteen categories, there'll bound to be exceptions all the time. I guess it depends on individual beliefs - something like astrology.
Labels: window shopping