celestial awakening
xxxxxx
night stars are the street lights of eternity.
A Movie and The First Fieldtrip
Thursday, July 07, 2011 @ 8:51 pm leave a comment? | 0 shed some light
I recently watched the Thai movie Chocolate (also known as Fury) and it made me cry buckets. It's a 2008 film and its Thai name is ช็อคโกแลต if you want to search for it. It's not the usual kind of movies I would watch - it's more of an action movie with lots of violence in it. 

But it's not just another senseless violent show, mind you. You could read the plot here but to sum things up, it's all about the life of a mother, Zin, with an autistic daughter, Zen, who was the result of her affair with a Yakuza boss. Zen has a special talent of being able to catch just about anything thrown at her. She also picked up martial arts purely just through observing people fighting and watching TV shows. This talent of Zen later proved to be a huge advantage as her mother's ex-boyfriend, a Thai gangster, seeks vengeance afterwards.  

The entire plot is actually on Wikipedia. What made me really cry my heart out was when I saw how strong the bond between Zin and Zen is in the story. Fate was cruel to the mother-daughter pair and both of them tried their hardest to protect each other in their own ways throughout the film. It was particularly heart-wrenching to watch the ending. If you like touching movies with lots of action packed in it, I would recommend Chocolate. 

Moving on, I went on a class field trip to Keppel Bay Creek this morning. It was really interesting listening to our guides talk about Keppel Club's green initiatives and the exhibit was pretty. There was even a replica of a kampung hut in the exhibit hall! There were dried leaves strewn around the place and it brought about a rustic feel. There was also a portion modeled after the movie Avatar. 

The field trip reminded me a lot about what I had learnt in Geography. I remember memorising all the coastal protection techniques (that's where the mangroves come in), responsible forestry and the uses of rainforests. It made me miss Geography lessons all of a sudden. 

The guides were really friendly and there was Abdullah the character played by one of the staff members, who told us a lot about kampung life. I also got to play five stones at the kampung exhibit. It's been ages since I last played it! I remember playing it nearly everyday when I was in Primary school. My friends and I would compete with each other with the many stages. My skills are really rusty now though. I couldn't even get past the fourth stage successfully. Maybe I should search for my five stones and practise once more!

Quite a few of us went over to Vivo City afterwards. After eating our lunch, we headed to Topshop, where Natasya, Shreya, Joey and Shahidah gave Wai Meng a mini makeover. Hazel, Avelin and I also tried on maxi dresses to pass the time. I found this really beautiful strapless maxi dress which fit me extremely well. I nearly bought it but decided not to in the end. I mean, I don't really have any occasion to wear it. It's such a big pity. In fact, I can't help but keep thinking about that dress. Oh well.

We all walked around for a bit afterwards and just sat down at a corner of the mall since everyone was pretty tired. I even managed to fall asleep right in the middle of the shopping center - I woke up with a headache though. 

Labels: , ,





© Mei Jun. Contents are owned by the owner unless otherwise stated.
Layout hand-coded by Rainy Martini. With colors from colourlovers and fonts from googlefonts.