celestial awakening
xxxxxx
night stars are the street lights of eternity.
Oh dear
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 @ 10:10 pm leave a comment? | 0 shed some light
My appetite has been strange lately. I get hungry and I still love looking at food, but when the food appears under my nose, I have no appetite to eat it. Even if my tummy's growling. It's as if my mouth feels too lazy to open. I've been getting fatter too. Seems like I'm always having issues with my weight. I must really start exercising for real. 

I'm also going to make use of the free time I have now to revise on my French. I feel so embarrassed after I realised how many stupid mistakes I made for my exam. I actually forgot apples are "pommes" in French. I wrote something entirely different instead. Stupid me. I don't really wish to see my score for this exam. I might fail. Agh.

By the way, since I'm already typing about French, I came across this phrase a few days ago,

On perd ce que l'on tient quand on veut gagner tout.
- Jean-Pierre Claris de Florian, Fables: Le chat et les rats

The rough translation of the sentence is that we lose what we have when we want to have everything. It's quite true, really. When we get greedy, we often tend to lose sight of what we used to cherish. It's only at the end when we realised what we've lost that we regret. I wish I could be easily contented with what I have though. I mean, I'm generally happy with my life now. But if true happiness means having no regrets, not wanting anything more than what I have now, or having a long wishlist - then maybe I'm not that happy. I'm happy but not extremely or very happy. Alright, I think I'm confusing myself here. I just want to say that it'd be great if I'm not so greedy with my wants (like wanting to buy even more albums when I have so many CDs at home).To sum it up, we should try our best to hold on to what we have instead of grasping at what we do not.

It's like the Greek myth of Atalanta and the three golden apples. Hippomenes wanted to court Atalanta, a strong yet arrogant beauty who had many suitors. Eventually, she got tired of their attention and told her suitors that she'd give her hand in marriage to the man who could outrun her in a foot race, but should they fail, they'd die. Because she was such a swift runner, she was sure that she could beat every man who challenged her. Not surprisingly, many men died at her hands.

Hippomenes decided to seek the help of Aphrodite who handed him three golden apples and instructions for the race. He then managed to outrun Atalanta not by speed, but by the golden apples he left on the ground as he ran with all his might. As per instructions, he deliberately dropped the three golden apples that Aphrodite gave him during the race. Atalanta stopped each of the three times just to pick those apples up, leaving Hippomenes enough time to win. She was too distracted by the golden apples that she had never seen before. They eventually got married since Hippomenes won.

Although the message of the story isn't the same as the French phrase, it still tells of greed aside from overconfidence. There are other Greek myths which also warn of the dangers of greed in a clearer way, but I can only remember this myth for now. Come to think of it, there are plenty of fables out there which speak of the importance of being contented and warn against greed. But being greedy is sort of a human thing. Isn't it?

Labels: ,





© Mei Jun. Contents are owned by the owner unless otherwise stated.
Layout hand-coded by Rainy Martini. With colors from colourlovers and fonts from googlefonts.