celestial awakening
xxxxxx
night stars are the street lights of eternity.
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Saturday, December 24, 2011 @ 11:29 pm leave a comment? | 0 shed some light

Did you use to write letters to Santa Claus?


During a CS (Storytelling II: Conceptualisation & Structure) tutorial, Stella asked us to reach into a small cloth bag and retrieve an object inside. Each of us got pretty random objects: a toy egg, baby clothes, a rose, sock etcetera. Well, I got a checkered green scarf. After all of us had our items in our hands, Stella told us the objective of this activity. We were supposed to spend the next forty-five minutes to write a short passage about the item we'd chosen. We had to write about the owner of the item, how he/she/it came to own it and why. 

This was what I wrote: 


Dear Santa


I am Jenny. I am eight years old this year.


Mummy bought a green checkered scarf for grumpy Aunt Suzy this week. It is a really pretty scarf! Sadly, Mummy kept the scarf in a wrapped box for Aunt Suzy's Christmas present after a few days. I am not sure if she knew that I was playing with Aunt Suzy's gift.


A little before Christmas, I decided to take Aunt Suzy's Christmas present to my bedroom. Since there were already so many presents under the Christmas tree outside, I was so sure no one would notice. Aunt Suzy always missed Christmas with us anyway.


The scarf is perfect for my teddy bear, Teddykins, to tie around his neck. It matches Teddykins' green checkered shirt! Too bad Mummy saw the scarf on Teddykins . . She took the scarf from Teddykins and scolded me for a long time! My legs went numb!


I know you might think that I have been a naughty child this year... But I really have been a good child before I took the scarf! Please Santa, I really do not want to be struck off your list of good children! Mummy has already taken the scarf back!


Can you send me a green checkered scarf for Christmas? Pretty pretty please?




Lots and lots of cookies and love from

Jenny



PS: I will hide cookies in my bedroom in case you come on Christmas day!
PPS: I really am a good girl this year!!


To be honest, I used to write stuff like that when I was a little kid. I'm sure that at some part of their childhood, most believed that Santa Claus was real. I used to think that Santa Claus was pretty unfair. He supposedly went into good children's homes through their chimneys to deliver their presents. Since there aren't any chimney in my country, wouldn't that mean he'd skipped my town each Christmas? Nevertheless, I didn't lose hope. I still wrote my letters to Santa Claus and prayed that there might be an alternative mode of entering people's homes for tropical countries. Maybe climbing through the rubbish chutes could work?

Most don't know that Santa figure was modeled after Saint Nicholas. Saint Nicholas was known for his secret gift-giving. He'd secretly leave gifts for others and is the patron saint of many causes: sailors, children, thieves, merchants, marriageable young women, farmers and endangered travelers. 

I read about Saint Nicholas when I was about eleven and that ended my questions about Santa's existence. I realised he was a figure popularised by traditions and western cultures. There are various myths, legends and historical background tied to the origins of Santa Claus actually. But the one I read about only mentioned Saint Nicholas. I guess it's a pretty nice way to find out about Santa Claus. At least I read it up on my own instead of having someone telling me that Santa Claus doesn't exist in reality. 

Labels:





© Mei Jun. Contents are owned by the owner unless otherwise stated.
Layout hand-coded by Rainy Martini. With colors from colourlovers and fonts from googlefonts.