celestial awakening
xxxxxx
night stars are the street lights of eternity.
LEAP Camp
Saturday, February 04, 2012 @ 11:48 pm leave a comment? | 0 shed some light
Since it's been ages since I last posted, it's going to be quite a long post. You've been warned!

We had to attend a workshop and briefing for the two days before LEAP camp. Monday (which was the first day) went well. We chugged through all the seven habits that the camp was based on. It was nice to meet four of my classmates after such a long break - Zhao-yi, Shaw, Matin and Wai Meng. And although I sat with my classmates during the workshop, I befriended the people from the neighbouring table. In fact, I got to know Serene, Gui Yu, Clare, Mark, Hui Juan and Benjamin by the end of the first day.

The second day was much shorter. I was expecting it to be as long as the first but we got to go home by noon. We played a few ice-breakers before having the brief about the camp. There was also a revised packing list given to us. Thank goodness I'd only packed my sleeping bag in, so it didn't make much of a difference to me. They then divided us into our camp groups.





My group was the first to come up with a name: Shaka Laka Bung Bung. We got our cheer pretty easily once we settled on the tribal theme too. After a few games, we settled the camp committee (the ones responsible for Gala Night during the camp) and we were free to go home. I met my mum for lunch that day, so that we could get the stuff necessary for the camp. It was quite easy to pack everything together once I had them all laid out on the table when I got home. I couldn't sleep well that night. I think I was too excited about the camp and being with my camp group mates.

The next morning, everyone stared as I carried my bags on the train. It was a good twenty stops worth of staring - maybe because of my big bags. By the time I reached school there were already quite a number of people gathered at the bus bay, even though I was early. I didn't make much conversation except to say a few sentences, since my brain can't really function in the morning, especially when I didn't sleep well.

We finally met our facilitator, Gerauld, who checked that we had our passports with us repeatedly that day. Our bus came eventually and our group shared the bus with Long Shorts (Shaw's and Wai Meng's group). I sat next to Jia Lin and chatted a bit with her. Unfortunately I was only half awake at that point of time so I doubt I was that interesting to talk to. We (both groups) played a few games and said a few jokes on the way to the customs. I finally succumbed to sleep when we were in Malaysia. It's a wonder how I managed to sleep even with sun rays blasting on my face. I woke up with my face feeling all tingly from the sun.

To be honest, it's the first time I've been to a camp in such an ulu (remote) location. Even OBS can't beat this. Nevertheless, I got down the bus feeling drowsier than when I got on. Until someone announced that Cong Han stepped on dog poo. That really woke me up. I don't know why, but I found it so funny! Thank goodness I couldn't smell anything with my blocked nose, since everyone was commenting about the smell.

Of course, everyone was given time to settle down and put our bags down in our respective tents. We just had to cross the hanging bridge to get across to the campsite on the other side of the place. The first time crossing the bridge was scary. I could peek through the big gaps between the planks of wood while crossing the bridge and it was shaking badly while we were on it. only 12 or 15 (I can't remember) people are allowed on the bridge at any time.

Since there were five girls in our group, all five of us shared a tent. The tent was dusty and we tried to clean the inside as much as we could. Jac, Clare, Jia Lin, Gui Yu and me were the last to leave our tent. I wonder how the rest of the girls could settle in so quickly!

Lunch was nice. I can't remember what we ate but I think it was nice? We ate at the resort's restaurant, but it really is just a cosy cafeteria-place with pretty wooden furniture. Everyone went to the seminar room (the only room with air-con) for that afternoon's leadership training. We played games that tied in with the seven habits and the concepts related to them. For each game, a volunteer would have to stand up from each group and be the group leader for that particular game. It's not as easy as it sounds though.

There's a catch. The three leaders would have to be interrogated by Daphne, the trainer, in front of everyone. They'd need to explain why they'd decided to step up and what their expectations were. It was kind of a turn-off for me initially, since I wasn't particularly eager to announce my reason and expectations should I volunteer. But I got over it on the second day. 

We went out of the room for the last activity which was a three-way Tug 'O' War game. Bung Bung was on the losing end for the first game but we managed to win in the second. We were asked if we were putting our all in the game. I also discovered Syafiq's unique scream while he was tugging on the rope for his dear life. It was pretty funny watching. We also tried to have an 'all girls' team for one round and we very nearly won! I still think it's pretty awesome that we actually won in the second game despite having such strong opponents!

Gerauld asked us to choose a buddy for ourselves after we were done with all the games. Frankly speaking, I thought no one would pick me. It's quite surprising that I got picked fairly fast. My buddy was Cong Han and he joked that he chose me because we're kind of like 'David' and 'Goliath'. 

Anyway, we were supposed to have talks with our buddies each day and I guess I'm lucky to have Cong Han as my buddy, since he's one of the friendliest and easiest person to talk to in the group. I actually got to know Cong Han the day before the camp since he sat next to Wai Meng before we were separated into our camp groups. Perhaps that's why I feel more at ease with him too. 

After talking to our buddies, all of us had dinner. It was back to the Seminar room after everyone was done with cleaning up their plates and cutlery. There was this survival game which I failed badly at. Apparently, the conclusion was that as a team, I'd take a longer time to die than if I were to be alone. And if I were to be alone, I'd be the first to die. It's not exactly great news to hear, to be honest. I guess it just shows how little I know about survival skills.

I didn't exactly shower the first night. Well, the initial plan between us girls was not to shower. Just a quick change of clothes and to brush our teeth. I decided to have a quick rinse and brushed my teeth. I was about to leave the partially enclosed cubicle (filled with all sorts of spiders and insects on the walls) when I accidentally hit the shower knob. The next thing I knew, cold water was raining down on me. Thus the night ended with me sitting in the tent half-drenched.

I didn't sleep the first night. There's usually a night lamp in the bedroom when I sleep at home, so it was really dark to me in the tent at night. I wasn't afraid though, since there were people with me. But since I didn't have a watch with me, I didn't wake the rest of the girls on time and we were quite late for morning stretch. Our group had to do a series of 'Buddha claps' for being late. I can't remember the number, only the ache I felt after doing so many before and after breakfast.

We had this sharing session after breakfast. Everyone had to list down the top three leaders and the bottom three leaders in the group. I wasn't surprised when I was listed in the bottom by a few of my group members. Jia Wei even had a piece of advice for me. I can't remember the exact words, but it struck a chord in me. To be able to be a good leader, sometimes you just have to step out of your comfort zone. Coincidentally, Daphne also talked about this 'comfort zone' issue afterwards, when we were about to kayaking.

It's definitely easier said than done. Nevertheless, I tried my best when I finally stepped up to be a leader for some game we played under the shelter when the thunderstorm prevented us from having the kayaking activity. Jia Wei was very relieved, by the way, since he needn't kayak anymore.

We went on a firefly cruise that night. We had to take a bus to the place and it sure was a bumpy ride! At least we had Clare, Gui Yu, Firdaus and Gerauld singing pop songs on the way. It was the first time I saw fireflies and they are pretty! I couldn't see well but they appeared like lights on Christmas trees to me. A firefly actually landed under Jia Wei's seat. That boy fell asleep halfway through the cruise though. I'm glad I wasn't sitting the nearest to the edge of the boat - the night breeze was really cold.

That night, we were briefed about what was to be brought for the trek the next day. By the time we were done with the activities and talking, I was pretty tired. Jia Lin, Fifi and I were the only ones who went to the open showers. We bathed under the moon. Literally. It was much nicer than the indoor ones actually. At least I can't see insects crawling on the walls enclosing the cubicles inside.

Jia Lin, Jac, Clare, Guiyu and I sat in the tent afterwards to wait for our hair to dry. We were the noisiest tent, I think. Lionel actually came to our tent to warn us about our noise level. Or it could be that she went to each and every of the girls' tents to warn them. But I must admit that we were talking a great deal. We slept slightly after midnight. Maybe it was because of my exhaustion, but I finally slept a little that night.

As for the third day, it was pretty embarrassing. We were late again for morning stretch and so we had to do another series of 'Buddha claps'. Breakfast that day was not so good. I tried to force myself to finish my plate of noodles, since Jia Lin and Clare took the noodles for everyone. But the thing was that I never really liked brown greasy noodles. In the end, I gave up and threw away a good part of it. I vomited a little out when I went to the restroom afterwards too.

When we finally started on the trek, I started getting breathing difficulties and I was really dizzy. It finally came to a point that Syafiq had to carry my bag up and Cong Han had to follow me to the front of the entire line of people. It's only practical to put the slowest person (i.e. yours truly) right at the front since everyone would go at my pace instead of being too fast for me to catch up. But I guess it's great to be able to choose when to pause to catch my breath. I didn't like how weak I felt though. It's as if I was compromising the progress of the entire horde of people behind me while I went at my slow pace. I also felt guilty that Cong Han had to follow me and share his water with me since Syafiq carried my bag for me.

Wai Meng and Shaw joined us midway since Wai Meng was also feeling tight in the chest. It was pretty fun going up even though my head kept swimming. I didn't want to appear like a wimp so I tried to talk about school and random things that popped in my head as I walked/climbed/slipped/slid over logs and streams. In short, I was blabbering.

When we finally reached the top, it was as if we reached the ideal spot for a picnic. There was a clearing where everyone stopped to have their lunch. It seems like a really fine place for picnicking but I had second thoughts after noticing the leeches in the grass.

I decided to check for leeches since the rest were doing the same too. I freaked out when I saw four leeches on me. One had even exploded after sucking too much of my blood.  Clare helped to get rid of them while I flapped around like a helpless chicken. To be honest, Cong Han and Daphne asked me to check for leeches while we were making our way to the top. They had leeches on them so it was pretty weird that I didn't feel anything on me. I guess I was too dizzy and breathless to feel the leeches!

After we finally got the leeches off me with lots of insect repellent, I ate my lunch standing up. I wasn't hungry but I stuffed myself with a pear and lots of bread and biscuits. 'Maybe the food would give me energy,' that was what I thought at that time. But the food really did help with my dizziness. I wasn't as jittery too.

The trek down was more difficult even if it was faster. At some parts, it was a vertical climb down and it started to rain heavily. Jian Kai who was before me made sure to tell me where to step and helped to look out for me. I kept falling down somehow and Cong Han had to pull me up a few times too. In short, I think I was quite a hindrance. I also panicked badly when I heard thunder and saw lightning. I hope no one saw that.

We had to stop to seek shelter under the trees when the rain got too heavy. Jia Wei, Jian Kai and Qi Wei shared a poncho with me. The four of us huddled together with our arms around each other to keep warm. I was reluctant to hand my windbreaker over to Jia Wei because I was so cold. But I decided to do it anyway since that poor boy was much skinnier than me and he was shivering violently.

The rain eventually stopped and this time my group was the last to go down. I fell down a few more times because of the slippery ground. I was trying to keep myself from shivering too hard. Coupled with the dark sky, I was quite scared and I started babbling about random topics all over again to Cong Han. I think I must have seemed like a total weirdo to my buddy.

Everyone was exhausted when we reached the bus to bring us back to our camp. I fell asleep after drawing a bear and a cat on the fogged bus window. It was the best sleep I got during the entire camp even if I was cold, hungry and wet. I was drained and at least no one was snoring.

It was time to shower once we returned to the camp. I was so relieved to get out of the wet clothes - I was so cold! Changing into dry clothes never felt so good! There was supposed to be a BBQ dinner but the plans changed because of the wet weather. I remember that dinner was especially good that night and I ate quite a lot. I also borrowed Cong Han's windbreaker to keep warm.

It was then time for our Gala Night with Hilmi and Jia Lin as our emcees. Each group came up with a skit featuring scenarios from the three days of camp. Bung Bung did an exaggerated version of our 'Tug-O-War' game on Day 1. There were a few hilarious performances done by Ze Hao and the camp facilitators. There was also the cross-dressing game where we got Jian Kai to dress as a sexy babe with random items the girls had. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the other two contestants from Long Shorts and Panty Hunters. Wai Meng looked quite different and Matin actually looked like a pretty girl! It's kind of disturbing in a way actually. It was definitely an eye-opener.

That night, our group gathered around a table and chatted with each other. I didn't really say much. They started talking about relationships and what girls look for in guys and vice versa. It was pretty interesting but I started dozing off afterwards. I ended up sleeping at the table instead of going back to the tent. I was too lazy and the rest of the girls stayed too. I should have listened to Jia Lin and gone back to the tent though. I got plenty of mosquito bites just from sleeping in the open.

I thought I was the first one awake in the morning but Cong Han beat me to it. He was really nice to offer me milo and a bun. I mean I kept babbling to him during the trek that I thought he'd be weirded out by me by then. While eating he showed me the photos he had taken during the camp and the others started waking up one by one.

I later followed the girls back to the tent. Clare, Gui Yu and Jia Lin napped in the tent while Jac and I packed our bags. As usual, we were late for our morning stretch. I think Clare and I were the latest. We played a game and the facilitators spoke about leadership qualities again. There was a much more relaxed atmosphere compared to the previous days since it was the last day. We had a final group reflection and each of us had to share what sort of leader we would want to be.

We had our last lunch together and left Kota Tinggi not long after. I was very sleepy when we left actually. I wanted desperately to sleep and dozed off while talking to Firdaus who sat next to me on the bus. Jia Wei wanted to borrow my windbreaker again but I didn't want to lend it since I was cold too. This time he offered to give me a head massage in return for the windbreaker. I ended up complying and I must say that his head massage is pretty good.

There wasn't much of a fanfare when we arrived back to school. Each group took group photos and left gradually. I was quite glad to be home. I miss my camp mates but I missed my home and I needed my sleep. Not surprisingly, I slept very well that night. I was like a dead log. 

Labels: ,





© Mei Jun. Contents are owned by the owner unless otherwise stated.
Layout hand-coded by Rainy Martini. With colors from colourlovers and fonts from googlefonts.